Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Role of Music

by Katie McManus


Music has the power to unite individuals of diverse backgrounds. In Colonie Central High School, many students participate in a performing art. I had the opportunity to sit down with a few students to gain perspective on the role music plays in their lives.

Q: What role has music played in your life?

Brianna Turner, senior violin player: It has always been an escape for me. I remember one day I was really upset, so I went down to the music office and played my violin in one of the practice rooms. I felt a little better.

Emily Finlan, senior cello player: It has basically guided me. I can’t even imagine my life if I didn’t have it.

Amelia Jones, senior trombone player: When I first started playing, I didn’t really think it would do anything for me. I kind of hated it until tenth grade when I made second chair in band, which is a huge responsibility. I decided to rise to the occasion and fell in love with the instrument between private lessons and seeing what trombone is really like.

Q: How has music shaped you as an individual?

BT: I’ve always been a really creative student. I’m going to major in art, so it helps me be a little more creative. If I’m thinking of painting a picture, I can think of how a song makes me feel and then I can paint the picture.

EF: I think it has taught me a lot of responsibility because I have to practice every day. It taught me that there is always someone better than you, but that just makes you want to be better.

AJ: It has done a lot for my dedication. You need to dedicate yourself to it. You can’t half put yourself into it. You have to let it overcome you and let it become you.

Q: Has music opened you up to any other opportunities?

EF: Definitely. I play in the Empire State Youth Orchestra. I don’t know what I would go to college for if I didn’t have music.

AJ: Oh, plenty. I was principal chair in Area All State. I take private lessons with a teacher who has made me so much better.

Q: What have you learned from performing in an ensemble?

BT: How to work together and how to listen. It’s really important.

EF: I’ve learned that you should be proud of what you accomplished after weeks and weeks of work. You should just be excited to share with other people.

AJ: Leadership and patience. You can’t get upset with someone who plays a sharp when it’s supposed to be a flat.

Q: Will you continue playing after highschool?

BT: I probably will. I don’t see a reason not to. It’s always going to be a skill I will have unless I develop carpal tunnel! (Laughs)

EF: Obviously! (Laughs)

AJ: I will. My parents got me a very nice trombone. I’m only applying to colleges with music programs.