Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Insight Into The Band Life

Ally Fisher              
                       
     It was Monday night; Kat and I had just finished watching my sisters bagpipe practice. I was walking to the car with my sister. She seemed happy and tired; she looks comfortable in her sweatshirt and leggings with her hair in a braid­ very different from how she usually looks. For the last two years I've grown to see that bagpipes is important to my sister Autumn. She has devoted most of her time trying to grasp perfection.        As we begin to speak to Autumn, her voice seems to be cracking and she speaks slowly when we began to question her. She keeps looking down every time she wants to laugh and pushes the baby hairs out of her face. She sips on fruit punch when she needs time to answer. She seems really enthusiastic about participating in the band. I am hoping in this interview something is revealed about the impact of being in the band had on Autumn. 

Ally Fisher­: So Autumn, What made you want to start playing bagpipes?
Autumn Fennelly [Smiling]­: Well, I was looking at a bulletin board one day and I saw a flier advertising bagpipes. I thought it would be cool to try it.
Ally Fisher­: At what age did you start playing? 
Autumn Fennelly:­ I joined when I was eight, and I was the youngest member at the time. 
Ally Fisher:­ Did you feel intimidated at times, because you were the youngest? 
Autumn Fennelly [Playing with her hands]:­ No not at all, being the youngest made me want to work harder so I would be respected by the older members. In bagpipes we have grade levels and your put into a level by your progress. I ended up skipping a grade level, because I was ahead of my teachers expectations.
Ally Fisher:­ What did you have trouble with when you first started playing?
Autumn Fennelly:­ I had trouble reading the music sheet. Also, it was difficult to focus my fingers 
Ally Fisher:­ Did you have any doubts when you first started playing bagpipes?
Autumn Fennelly [Laughing]:­ I got discouraged when I first started playing, at times I felt like giving up, but I really love playing the bagpipes.
Kat Fuchs­: What makes bagpipes better than other instruments?
Autumn Fennelly:­ Its different, everyone has their own opinions. When I play bagpipes I feel unique, its my talent that nobody can take from me.
Kat Fuchs:­ How well does the band work together?
Autumn Fennelly [looking down]:­ Pretty good, but we have a lot of individual work we have to master before we can put it all together.
Kat Fuchs:­ Does your band do any charity work?
Autumn Fennelly:­ From what I know, we sell tickets for a raffle to support our band. But I don't think hat we do actual charity work.
Kat Fuchs:­ Do you recommend bagpipes to everyone?
Autumn Fennelly:­ It depends on the persons work ethic and how well they can focus.
Kat Fuchs: What do you mean?
Autumn Fennelly:­ It takes time to learn how to play the bagpipes, it is not easy. I practice for many hours throughout the week, because if I don't I fall behind. You have to really want it.
Kat Fuchs:­ Do you plan on playing professionally?
Autumn Fennelly:­ I hope to play at funerals someday and other functions. I plan on playing the bagpipes for the rest of my life.
Ally Fisher:­ Well, thank you for your time it was really interesting to learn about the bagpipes.
Kat Fuchs:­ Thank you Autumn I learned a lot.
Autumn Fennelly­: Anytime, it was a pleasure.