Friday, December 12, 2014

Feminism for Everyone



Aine Geraghty

“Go make me a sandwich.” Well of course dear, but only if you promise to choke on it. Newsflash Mr. Suave, my gender does not make me your slave. Yes, I am a woman. I can be delicate and sweet, and even put together one hell of a sandwich. But I also can also be intelligent, strong, and venomous when I’m treated like less of a person because I wear a bra.
            I am a feminist. Not because I’m trying to be a part of the latest social movement or because I hate men and would like to see them trampled into the ground. I am a feminist because I can no longer stand by and do nothing with the knowledge that my gender puts ridiculous restrictions and false judgment on me. I am desperately searching to achieve the same opportunities as men and to know that the body I live in is completely my own to make decisions for. Not to mention the fact that females and their bodies are enormously over sexualized, making one of feminists’ goals to be ensuring that women feel powerful and that they are more than a pair of boobs. The fact alone that feminists are stereotyped as being “butch” or “crazy” or “lesbians” only further proves the point that feminism is needed. Women are diverse, but I assure you that the majority of us, no matter what we look like or who we love, want to be treated like equals to men. But I mean, who is surprised that a movement run, for the most part, by women is mocked? NO ONE. And, notice that I didn’t say the movement’s participant were all women. There are male feminists too, both gay and straight, that fight for the genders to be equal.
            Now, let me take a moment to address some of the main issues women face in their daily lives. First off, women are treated as jokes. The fact that there are still people who believe the “Get back in the kitchen” line is humorous makes me sick to my stomach. Men treat women as objects, as machines that are only good for two things: chores and sex. How can people believe the human race is so advanced when half of our species is treated with less respect than a household pet? For God’s sake, black widows have more female empowerment than humans do.
            Then, we have the infamous catcalling. Neanderthal minded men whistle and call to women passing by on the street, women who are just trying to get to work or enjoy their day without being made to feel uncomfortable. The most ridiculous thing about this action is that some men can’t comprehend why women would be bothered by this. Why are they being so stuck up? What, they don’t like compliments? Um, no. If I were standing at a bus stop in a nice new dress and a man waiting for the bus as well saw my outfit and told me he thought it looked stunning, I would be flattered. But if he were to make a comment about how “sexy” I was in the dress or say something about how short it was, I would feel wildly uncomfortable. There is a difference between paying a woman a nice compliment that will make her day as she passes by you and acting like a caveman as you shout sexual or suggestive comments at her when she is trying to go about her day. I work in retail and customers, some being male, often tell me I’m a beautiful young girl and compliment my buzzed haircut. That makes me feel so nice. But when creepy male customers come in and ask for my number, I usually try to get away from them as soon as possible.
            There are so many more female issues, but the last two I will make a point to address are abortion and rape. Human bodies are sacred. They are our own private temples that we live in. It is up to us to decide who gets to see inside, but when someone forces entry into it, you can imagine that it feels like your beautiful temple has turned into a pile of rubble. That is exactly what rape does to a person. Their bodies have be trespassed upon and vandalized. That’s bad enough, but then imagine being blamed for what happened to you. Insane, right? Well that’s usually the reality of the situation. Blaming the victim has become somewhat routine in rape cases and that is highly unacceptable. Women get blamed for their sexual assaults because of what they were wearing or how they were acting. The bottom line is that if the woman does not consent, its rape and the blame falls completely on the rapist. The idea we should be planting in people’s head is that you shouldn’t rape, not that you should always be cautious so you don’t get raped. Imagine someone robbing your house only to be told it was your fault because you left the lights on. That would never happen. The same should be true for our bodies. Then to add on to the absurdity, it actually has to be voted on if women can get an abortion. It’s okay to stick to your religious beliefs and have a personal opinion on the matter but that has to stay separate from our government and our bodies. It’s honestly laughable to me that men think they have the right to a say in the matter when they’re not the ones carrying another human in them. And it’s not like babies just quickly make their way into the world with no stress. These women have to carry them around for nine months with all the fun side effects of pregnancy, and we all know child birth is a breeze. The worst is when rape and abortion come together. Sometimes rape victims get pregnant from their attacker, and then they are made to feel evil when they don’t want to keep the baby. I don’t want to hear that “God works in mysterious ways” garbage, how about you address the fact that these women then have to walk around with the horrible reminder of what happened to the for nine months. Yes, perhaps that child could have cured cancer, but so could the mother who would have less of a chance if she kept the baby, especially if it’s a teen pregnancy.
            Out of all of this, my biggest problem lately lies with the women who stand against feminism. I can’t wrap my mind around it. These women like being made to feel inferior to men? They like being sexualized and treated like an object? Their reasoning is “It’s just a fact that men are smarter and stronger than women. Get over it.” I hope you’re joking, because the only thing I’m going to “get over” is my test scores over those of my male peers. I’m not saying I’m smarter than every man, nor am I saying women are the stronger sex. I realize that due to the way our bodies are built, men tend to be physically stronger. Does that make them better than woman? Not in a million years. Women need to realize that we aren’t trying to ruin their dream of having a muscular Prince Charming sweep them off their feet and treat them like a flower petal for the rest of their life, if that’s what they are in to. Feminists just want equality. And some ladies that claim to be feminists need to realize that cannot be true if they are tearing down other women. This movement is about empowering females, so when such things like “slut-shaming” occur, it only belittles the progress we have made as a sex.
            Feminism is for everyone because it’s about equality, which effects everyone in some way. Females are worth admiring, just as men are, and it’s about time that everyone realized that. Girls will eventually reach the level of respect and rights that men have, and I assure you that everyone who made their fight to be equal more of a struggle, they will be tasting the bitter sandwiches they had to make with their own hands.