Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Love For Life


Aine Geraghty

January 5, 2015

 

When my grandfather passed away this past November, a friend took me in their arms and said Life is a gift. I thought about that for a while. It didnt make seeing my grandfather lying in his casket, much like a wax figure, any easier. Nor did it make my breathing less shaky when I couldn't stop sobbing as one of pallbearers. But I did think about it a lot. Then, we were all sat at the awkward lunch that comes after burying a family member, which I guess is for people to come over and say Boy, you did a beautiful job of bringing your grandfather to his grave. Now Im going to touch you and talk your ear off, even though thats the last thing you want right now and you probably don't know me. I sat with my second cousins, who are more like extended siblings, and I just understood what really loving someone meant. They embodied it in how they lived and how they treated each other and me. And for the first time, in a long running period of days where everything was horrible, I laughed. I smiled and enjoyed living with them in that moment. I had fully grasped what my friend had said to me.

Then came the New Year. Everyone uses it as an excuse to pretend like they are going to be a better person starting January 1st, but instead they just wake up and spend the day tweeting about how drunk they were the night before. I was woken up and told my rabbit was dead. Happy New Year to me. This rabbit had been like a pet dog, like a best friend, like a child to me. And on the first day of 2015, we had dig a hole in the backyard to put her body in. So much for a brighter year than 2014. Everything was gray again. The sky suddenly seemed plastic and I began to wonder if parts of my life had simply been mistaken with dreams. I felt alone, because who would really understand how hard losing my rabbit was? To most people, its just a rabbit. Its not that big of a deal. I decided I would stay in bed for most of the night and the next morning until I had to get dressed for work.

Its January 2nd, 2015. Noon. Im throwing off the covers and my mother is yelling through sobs on the telephone. Someone is dead. I just know it. My stomach can sense it and my hands won't work right to open my bedroom door. She slams down the phone and I stand at the top of the stairs, afraid to take that Band-Aid of hope that I could be wrong, and rip it off. But I do it anyway. My cousin, my extended brother who was only twenty, had been killed in a tragic accident. Happy New Year to everyone. Why wont you stop is all I could say, and to no one in particular. I thought: how am I supposed to go to work anymore? How am I supposed to go to school ever again? How am I supposed to wake up at all in the morning?

Because Im alive. I dont know who or what decides who lives and dies, and Im not really sure Im in a place to understand that. But when I wake up every morning, I will get to see things those I have lost cannot. Is it fair? I dont believe so. But strangely, life is fair because it is unfair to everyone. I dont mean in every aspect of living, just in the areas we have no control over. It is so very important to realize that life is a gift. I dont know who the secret Santa was that went over the $10 limit and gave everyone this gift, but Im thankful anyway. Without appreciation for this gift, there can be no love or happiness in the world. And frankly, thats the only reason to stay alive. We all live in a strange circle that cant be understood, but can only be appreciated while were still in it. I may be sad for a long time, perhaps even the rest of the year. But thats okay. Its perfectly fine to grieve for as long and in any way youd like, and you should never feel that you have to apologize for that. You can be mad, you can scream and cry, you can even live in a happy denial. The only thing that you cant do is give up. It sounds so corny, and Im sure in these times of sorrow no one is looking for a Brady Bunch moment, but you can see the truth in that statement all around you. When you stand on a mountain top and realize how endless existence is, when you hear a babys laughter and understand that is where you started, and when you see the sunrise over the tops of you neighbors roofs and silently register the start to a new day. Its all there. In every moment of living, even the hardest ones, there is a universal theme which is the fact that you are alive. You are alive enough to feel all the things that you do, which is such a mind blowing gift.  Its so difficult to put into words, but really what you need to remember is something the great Albus Dumbledore once said, which is Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. Beneath all the pain and sadness any of us feel, we must to hold on to a love for life.