Thursday, December 15, 2011

Critical Thinking: A Conversation

By: Nick Sanders

COLONIE— Foot steps echo and reverberate around the fire lit den. Enter Colleen Sanders, in her pajamas with a glass of pinot nior. Colleen is the Writing Center Coordinator at Fulton-Montgomery Community College. She exhaustedly lounges on the couch, as we exchange several pleasantries. And now, we begin our interview, where she voices her concern about the modern curriculum implemented in high school, and the affects of this curriculum on her freshman composition, and literature students.
Question 1: Where did you attend High School?

I went to South Colonie High School, (with a degree of antiphrasis) proud graduate of 1987!

Question 2: How was this experience?

High school (PAUSE) it was mediocre. It was okay, exceptional. I enjoyed most of my classes, and my deceitful peers. I was adequately prepared for college. I was a GREAT writer!

Question 3: What did you pursuit after high school?

I went to Cobleskill Community College. Then I went to SUNY Albany, which I hated. Then I finished my two year degree at Hudson Valley Community College for Business Administration. I then returned to college to pursuit a degree in English at the College of Saint Rose. I began teaching in 2003, I have been the Writing Center Coordinator for four years.

Question 4: What degrees do you hold?

I hold an Applied… AAS in Business Administration (sic). I also have a Bachelors of Arts in English with a minor in Business. I also have a Masters Degree in Literature.

Question 5: What is your profession?

Teaching college (sic).

Question 6: Select a layer depicted in Dante’s Inferno. Why?

Vanity is a sin right? (listing) Gluttony… Sloth… Greed… Greed I think. Greed would be the sin. I think it is ironic that 13th Century society depicted greed as a sin against humanity. And in 21st amongst a capitalist society, greed eventually plagues our society and it actually is endorsed by the public, corporations, and the government.

Question 7: Who is your favorite author?

(PONDERS) Mary Wollstonecraft, one of the classic authors who has influenced the way I think, and perceive the world. Even though she wasn’t the best writer (SIC).

Question 8: What made you want to become a College Professor?

Ironically I began my pursuit of literature in pursuit of becoming a high school educator. But I was quickly turned away from the bureaucracy of second education, particularly in terms of the curriculum requirements I feel that the curriculum are very rigid and do not expose students to critical thinking and analysis.

Question 9: How do you view high school education?

I view high school education as a quintessential component in adolescent development. I believe that high school teaches students how to learn but not necessarily think autonomously or become self directed learners.

Question 10: Do you believe such courses as AP Literature and Composition, and AP Language and Composition illustrate the content and rigor of Introductory College Level Courses?

I believe the content is college level, I believe that students loose freedom in an interpretation of a text because of the necessity to score on the exam. And so the need to teach for the test consumes the educator.

Question 11: Do you believe the Regents English program has prepared students for college?

Well, first of all, consider that I teach at a community college, which typically means I have a diverse body of students, I have many “regent learned” students they come to class prepared read to engage at the college level writing, and homework. As an instructor I encourage imagination and creativity and try to move away from the traditional 5 paragraph paper.

Question 12: What would you change in the high school Regents program in order to better prepare freshman for the rigor of introductory college courses?

I don’t believe it would be a curriculum change, but rather encourage critical thinking in the high school class room. As it is a critical component of higher education.