Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Music In His Veins

By Tori Bender

Recently, I met with a well-known rapper in Albany. He goes by the name Dephyant, but his close friends and loved ones know him as Alex Micheli. When I asked him to do the interview, he suggested that we meet in his natural environment. I was thinking something simple like maybe his house. However, we sat down at Bogie’s, a bar in Albany. He was attending a show, something he does on a regular basis along with numerous open mics and he invited me.

He looked comfortable in his dark-wash jeans, white Iron Bar Collective t-shirt, Carhartt jacket, and black hat. His facial hair wasn’t shaved, but it definitely fits the part. The music was loud, which was difficult at first, but I quickly got used to it. People were on every side of me. It’s not something I was too comfortable with, but it didn’t seem to distract him at all. He was focused and ready to give me honest answers.

Tori: What would you consider the most valuable thing in your life?

Alex: It's very hard to find one thing that I would consider to be the "most valuable" in my life, but I can give you a few examples of some things that mean the world to me. The connection that I have with my brothers keeps my blood flowing. I know of a lot of families that are unable to maintain a stable relationship with siblings the way I have. Music is also very important, even when things are heading downhill to the extreme, a few hours with a pen and paper will almost solve the problem, if not allow me to approach the situation logically. And maneuvering throughout society efficiently is essential. And honestly, laughter... (he paused) pure enjoyment or something that makes you happy. We are all in this life to smile and enjoy the time spent and make the most out of it. When you are laughing I feel you are doing that, which leads me to being optimistic. Optimism is key. You are the company you keep. Keep positive energy in your circle and you become that way.

T: How did your music become a part of you?

A: I wasn't really accepted in high school very well. I was skinny, nerdy-looking, glasses, long hair and very shy. But something about hip hop music ignited a whole other side of me. I was always extremely competitive, so when I started really understanding the concept of "battle rapping" (exchanging verses in a competitive manner) I was able to really satisfy my own interests. I was able to sit behind a computer screen and pretty much hide, not be judged, and still be able to express my skill as an artist. It's honestly so difficult to truly pin point what grabbed me about hip hop music, but it got me. And I feel I’ll be doing it forever, regardless of me being successful or not.

I think he could tell I was having a hard time hearing him, so he offered to step outside. I agreed and we got up and walked by two men about to start a fight. He just looked back and smiled at me. I’ll admit I was a little nervous. His smile reassured me that it was normal. Once we got outside though he urged me to continue as we sat at a table near Madison’s Pizza right next door.

T: You are part of a rap group called Iron Bar Collective. Can you tell me a little bit more about it?

A: Iron Bar Collective is more than a rap group; it was always more than that. Two of my best friends who just so happen to have the same passion for being lyrical ended up making music together. Nothing planned, it just naturally occurred… so to me Iron Bar Collective is just a few of my friends who like rap music. We decided the name in about 2007-2008. It actually just kind of appeared out of nowhere. We just wanted to be called and recognized together as a "collective”. Emcee Graffiti is a phenomenal beat boxer, Gorilla Tao is very skillful with writing, and I, Dephyant, have always been strong with free styling and improv. Eventually we all decided that we needed to make some music together and attempt to make a movement and utilize our skills as a unit. Our biggest influence I think for the most part is the Wu Tang Clan. They gave us such a backbone I feel as far as working together, and always featuring each other, and just being strong from every angle. We wanted to make an impact with longevity for being skillful, and not sell out our music for money. We wanted to keep it original and true to ourselves. So once again, regardless of our success we will always have what is true to us. Iron Bar Collective has been my entire focus and escape for the past few years. The meaning, the motives and the music have kept my head on straight for a long time. Now we are doing shows with some of our favorite artists, being recognized all over the country, and are slowly building up to making a name for ourselves.

T: Where did you get the name “Dephyant”?

A: I recently changed my name to Dephyant due to some recent conflicts with another artist that resides, I believe, in Ohio. He already had my previous name, Sapient, trademarked and legally bonded to him. Therefore, in order to avoid any legal issues and the possibility of losing potential fans, I was forced to change. Oddly enough when the name changed, it actually was perfect for me. Something as small as a name change altered my music just enough to give it that extra kick.

T: What music have you released?

A: I have released two complete full mix tapes, 518 Chronicles Vol. 1 and 518 Chronicles Vol. 1.5: The Breath Between. I’m currently working on projects with some of Albany’s finest producers such as Critikal Beats, DeeJay Tone, White Lotus, Lofi Lobo, JB, Vynlcologist to name a few.

T: Would you say you use rap as an outlet?

A: Absolutely, it is the only outlet I have at the moment. I'm a broke kid from the 518. (upstate New York) Stress and depression are not foreign, and being financially fortunate seems to be way out of reach sometimes. But I can always rely on hip hop to maintain and settle my nerves. Even if I’m not making music all I have to do is play a few songs that resemble my mind frame and it balances myself. It's not just an outlet to me, but the only outlet to me.

T: When do you complete your best writing?

A: I write better when I’m to the extremes of emotion. Whether extremely happy or very sad, they both push my pen. Being emotional is the fuel to everything I write. When I get overly excited I write that way. When I get very sad and depressed the flow changes, the beats change, and the delivery changes. Being emotional creatures plays a enormous part in the creative process at that time. This is why music is a immediate reflection.

T: Where can we hear your music?

A: You can find all of our music at www.emceegraffiti.bandcamp.com, www.gorillatao.bandcamp.com, and www.dephyant.bandcamp.com. You can also search Iron Bar Collective on Google. And check out our Facebook page www.facebook.com/ironbarcollective.

T: Is there anything that disappoints you about the hip hop culture?

A: Yes, yes and yes. Hip Hop is the culture, the music, the mind state, the direction, the stress, the life, and the urban. Real hip hop does not disappoint me. It was music created to express the lives of less fortunate individuals, and that music is real, it’s true, it’s authentic. The way the media has manipulated this beautiful culture disgusts me. People place so much into the dollar that instead of making the music you love and want, that people will conform to the industry’s needs, rather than express and understand their own. What disgusts me is people have extraordinary talents, amazing writing abilities, and beautiful minds. But for a paycheck they sacrifice the art and make horrible music. They make the stereotypical rap music that gives it a bad name. People forget that what they are doing takes skill and it is an art. If you tell a painter what and how to paint a picture, than you are no longer painting self, and art should be a reflection of self. It’s only created to satisfy others. When this is reality, the culture dies and it's sad. People who have amazing talents and are very intelligent will never be noticed for what they deserve because they may not fall into this year’s trends... (he paused) The media is what I hate about the music. I love hip hop culture.

T: Is there any advice you would give to aspiring rappers?

A: Be yourself! If you are broke, single, and insecure about speaking to females, stop acting like you have a thousand women and drive a Maybach when you take the CDTA! Be 100% all the time, every time. Understand just riding a beat doesn’t make you nice. Appreciate your pen, and put time into your writing. Make it mean something. This is an art form, not a pit stop for your boredom. Stop conforming to what others tell you to do. Make the music that truly moves you.

T: Where do you wish to see yourself in three, maybe four years?

A: Ideally, I would like to be living off of my music. Not rich, not in a million dollar mansion, but living off of my music. I want to be happy and feel like me making the music that I do is appreciated and recognized the way it was created originally.

T: What is the most fulfilling part of making music?

A: The respect that comes with being talented. Walking through Crossgates Mall and having "fans" come up to you that you have never seen or met before, but they know your music. Recognition is beautiful, regardless who it is by. Also, this may not sound very positive but exploiting my dominance in such a competitive genre of music. As far as it goes for now, this is what satisfies me. Being consistent and respected for being creative and unique.

T: What do you do when you're not in the studio?

A: Work, school and honestly rap. I don’t spend a lot of time in the studio. I love taking part in ciphers on the street randomly, I love doing shows, I love rapping at open mics. I just love the music. Because I am apart of and respect the hip hop culture there is no separation as far as being in or out of the studio. I bleed this (used hand gestures to emphasize).