Thursday, January 10, 2013

Cupcake Wars of Colonie

by Moira Dollard
 
When you bite into a cupcake you instantly feel happy. The mixture of moist cake and sweet frosting, nothing compares to it. Even when you just have a slice of cake you feel the same way. Cake is only better in that there is more of it to eat. I have had plenty of practice with eating both cupcakes and cake. All over Colonie cupcake shops have been popping up and becoming popular. Fluffalicious, Sweet Temptations and Coocadots. Each cupcake shop has different products and tastes. In this article I’m going to dissect the taste of each cupcake and tell you where the best cupcake is in Colonie. Get ready for a sweet ride.
First up is Fluffalicious. The two cupcakes I ate were “Hot Fudge Sundae” and, “Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup.”
Hot Fudge Sundae - The fudge inside the cupcake was my favorite part. It gave the great combination of a vanilla cake with the fudge. Just like a true sundae. The use of the butter cream sundae on top though took away from the overall experience I feel. I feel that if there was less frosting then the combination would be better.
 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup – Great cupcake. The chocolate cake was most definitely the best part. Nice and rich and moist. The filling of peanut butter icing tasted great also with the cake. Perfect combination. I felt though that the chocolate frosting was too prominent over the peanut butter. I would have liked more peanut butter than chocolate.
Overall these two cupcakes were fantastic. A little bit too much of frosting for me but the filling and cake itself were great.
Next is Sweet Temptations. The two cupcakes from there were “Oreo” and “Chocolate Raspberry.”
Oreo – Great combination of frosting and cake. Also the presentation was beautiful. Looked really cute with a dipped Oreo on top. Although the cupcake tasted delicious I didn’t really get the taste of Oreo. The chocolate cake was really great though.
 
Chocolate Raspberry – Great presentation again. Also another great combination of moist chocolate cake and rich raspberry frosting. My favorite part was the actual raspberry filling on the inside. It’s a nice surprise to bite into a cupcake and get the real fruit taste.
I was very pleased with both of these cupcakes. The presentation was breath taking on both and the combination of cake and frosting was great.
Lastly is Coccadots. The two cupcakes elected from there were “Cake Batter” and “Peanut Butter Cup.”
Cake Batter – The cake itself was awesome. Moist, delicious great flavor. I was not a big fan of the whipped topping though. Others told me that they enjoyed the combination of the cake and whipped frosting. Just shows the different opinions of everyone. I did not like the fondant star on the front though. Not a big fan of the flavor of the fondant. It was a great presentation though and looked very cute.
 
Peanut Butter Cup – Definitely the best cupcake I ate all night. It had just enough peanut butter to go with the chocolate cake. Even though it didn’t have a filling which I would have enjoyed even more it was still a superb cupcake.
 
Both the cupcakes excited my taste buds and were presented great. Most likely my two favorite cupcakes of the night.
All the cupcakes were delicious. There was never a single bite of cupcake that I did not enjoy. My personal favorite was Coocadots but if you want a mouth watering cupcake any of the shops will suffice. I hope this look into these sweet treats was helpful!