Friday, January 8, 2016

What Makes Your Day?

By: Hannah Fahy       
1/8/16

Has anyone ever done something that just made you smile? Maybe they bought you a coffee or complimented your outfit, sometimes it’s the little things that have the power to turn a bad day into a better day, and sometimes people go out of their way just to make someone smile.
 It can be surprising what things you do every day have the ability to change someone’s day. You might not even notice how often you make other people happy throughout your everyday life. If you want to find out how to make someone’s day, just keep reading.
There is no one way to make someone happy, and everyone is contented by different things, but there are a few sure-fire ways to make someone smile. If you really think about it, someone has probably made you smile today, and you may not have even realized.
When asked “what was something someone has done to make you smile that today?” people responded with things such as “My math teacher wrote ‘I’m really proud of you’ on a test she knew I had worked really hard on,” “My friend told me some jokes at lunch,” and “I was chosen to be interviewed for this article.” Those are only three examples of easy ways to make someone happy.
Telling someone you’re proud of them, making someone laugh, and having a conversation are things that couldn’t be simpler to do that make a difference in a person’s day.
You may be thinking that you’re not as good of a person as you thought you were now because you haven’t told someone you’re proud of them today, but making someone smile really is easier than you might think.
If you think about it, you’ve most likely done something today that has made someone happy without even realizing it. When asked “What was something you’ve done today to make someone else smile?” people answered with things like “I complimented my girlfriend” and “I gave my grandma a stuffed frog because she likes frogs.”
However, it is even simpler than that, one person said “I played video games with my sister.”  To you, something as simple as playing video games with a sibling may not be a big deal, but to that sibling, it makes their day better. Things you don’t even realize are a big deal to someone, can be the difference between a no-good day and a great one.
Maybe you’ve held open a door for someone today or said “hello” to someone new, it might seem like a minor thing, but little things like that have the power to change someone’s mood for the rest of the day.
Think about your day today. What has someone done that made you smile? What have you done that improved someone else’s day?
There are so many little things you can do to improve a person’s mood, but every now and then, going out of your way to make someone happy can help you and someone else be happier.
A few responses to the question “What is something you’ve gone out of your way to do to make someone happy?” are “I rode my bike from my house to Albany Airport to visit my girlfriend, it was a 45 minute ride,” “I washed my mom’s car,” and “I helped clean up a little league park.”
Often people think the only way to make someone happy is to spend money on them, but out of every one interviewed, no one responded to that question by saying they had bought someone an expensive present.
If you want to go out of your way to really make someone’s day, you don’t have to think hard for ideas. You can find inspiration in your own life. If you think about it, someone has done something amazing for you before.
When asked “What is something that someone has gone out of their way to do to make you smile?” some responses were “My friend hand made me a quilt,” “My dad surprised me by coming up from Florida to see me,” “My dad bought me a dirt bike and took the time to teach me how to ride it,” and “My stepdad bought me an iPhone6S.”
That’s the secret to making someone happy, you just have to be nice! It isn’t hard at all to make other people happy. The simplest of gestures can really turn someone’s bad day into a day worth remembering. Also, every now and then, with a grand gesture, you can give someone a day that they will hold dear to them for a long time. Things you do every day affect whether someone views the world in a positive or negative way.
People who are happy are more likely to share that happiness with others. If you make one person happy, that person might go make another person happy. You could be the beginning of a chain of good deeds. Or, if someone makes you happy, be sure to continue the chain of good deeds.
Imagine how much better each day would be if everyone did at least one small, good thing every day. The world would be just a bit better with everyone doing easy things to help one another out and make people smile. If you don’t think that you have the power to make someone’s day, give it a try anyway. You might be surprised by just how easy and rewarding it is to create happiness.

Everyday people do little and big things to make each other happy. The satisfaction of making someone’s day is enough to make your own. When you make someone else smile, it’s pretty hard to stop yourself from smiling as well. So do yourself and someone else a favor by making someone happy today. You won’t regret it.