Friday, January 8, 2016

The American Dream

By: Emily Satin
1/8/16
It feels comforting to see my Lola. It is a sunny fall day in Albany New York, and after a long day of school spirit week festivities it is very relaxing to be laying on my grandmother’s couch sipping on the peppermint tea she just made for me.  She is dressed in her casual jeans and a floral top with her usual red lipstick and pink blush on her cheeks.  She can’t help but smile because she is flattered and shocked that I admire her enough to interview her.


What made you want to leave the Philippines?
Lola: “It’s funny because when I was 17 I told my father and step mother that this was my plan and they were beyond traumatized.  I was nervous but I also recognized that North America had plenty more opportunities for me and I just wanted to get out of the small country I had come from and try something new.”
How old were you when you finally decided to pick up and move to the other side of the world?
Lola: “I left the Philippines when I was 18 years old.  I suffered severe separation anxiety from all of my baby brothers and sisters, but I was not extremely close with my parents so it made it easier.”
Who did you miss the most?
Lola: “I missed my younger sister terribly when I left.  When I was growing up my parents were always busy so I found myself responsible for many of my younger siblings but my youngest sister relied on me significantly and I worried for how she was going to handle my absence.”
Did you travel all alone?
Lola: “No, Luckily I traveled with my cousin Ida.  It really helped me cope with the drastic changes that were about to happen in my life.  It also felt good to bring someone from back home with me to remind me of some of the amazing people I had left and wouldn’t forget.”
Was it scary traveling at such a young age?
Lola: “I had a difficult time being such a young age in the airport and finding my departure location.  Since I am 4’9” it was slightly intimidating having everyone tower over me”
Where did you first move to?
My first apartment was in Montreal, Canada.  The scenery and city life there was unimaginable for me.  I finally was able to experience the exciting life I always longed for in my country.”
Did you speak English fluently when you came here?
Lola: [laughs] “Absolutely not.  In the Philippines English is taught at the age of 14 in school however my native language was Filipino and because of where I grew up, although I knew how to communicate in English my accent was way too intense for Canadians to comprehend.”
What was your first job?

Lola: “My first job was at a hospital in Montreal.  I was a nurse and that was one of the things I missed most about Canada.  I was able to form a really god bond with a majority of the patience and I felt very lucky to be getting paid to do something I loved.”