Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Teacher Perspective


By: Allie Pizzemento
1/4/16
It was shortly before eight o’clock on a Tuesday evening when my older cousin Michelle knocked on my door. Having just come from her running club, she was clad in brightly colored athletic gear, leggings and hoodie, as well as a water bottle in hand. My mom greeted her with a wide smile and they shared some comfortable small talk while I got myself prepared for the interview in my basement. She joined me shortly after, tucking herself into the leather recliner while I stretched out on the couch.
Allie Pizzemento: Alright, so. What exactly is your teaching position?
Michelle Daus: Depending on what classes run each year, I teach a little more Business or a little more Family and Consumer Science, but that's a really long name so we just call it Home and Careers. I always teach Home Ec for the eighth graders and with the high schoolers, it just depends on the electives that run.
AP: Why do you feel these things are important for high schoolers to learn?
MD: I think that they’re important because they happen everyday in life. The other classes are important, because I can’t say that they’re not [Laughs], but not everybody uses all the things in the other classes. In some of my classes, regardless of what you do when you get out of high school, you're going to use it. For instance with my cooking classes, I make sure that people are able to feed themselves. My personal finance classes, they know how to handle their money. My career exploration classes, they know how to apply for jobs. It also gives me an opportunity to teach some of the skills that people need, but aren't part of other curriculums, like problem solving and teamwork and communication.
AP: Do you think that schools without classes similar to the ones you instruct are making a mistake? What would be your pitch to convince schools without these classes to install them?
MD: Well, obviously I think they’re making a mistake [Laughs]. It’s really frustrating to teach something that so many people do think is valuable, but is always the first thing to go when budgets get tight. So, I think that I would say to an administrator, “Describe to me your ideal graduate,” and I would expect them to say things like “someone who's confident, someone who's a problem solver, someone able to persevere,” And I’ll say, “Okay, where in their other classes are they getting those skills?” Depending on the teacher, they might be getting some of those skills in their other classes, but I think that i would be able to very easily prove to them how my classes teach those things.
AP: What are your favorite units to teach?
MD: It really depends on the class. With Home Ec, I love the finance unit because we do a really cool money management project where the kids earn money for various jobs in the class and they can spend their money and I’ll hit ‘em with unexpected expenses. As far as whole classes go, my favorite business class is Sports and Entertainment Marketing because I think marketing is a lot of fun. And with the cooking, I really love baking, but any of it is great. [Laughs]
AP: How has your experience been working with teenagers as such a young teacher?
MD: It’s gotten easier the longer I’ve been doing it. It's a lot easier to teach the eighth graders because they perceive a bigger age difference, but when I first started I was only, like, five years older than the seniors, that was a little weird, but I was fortunate because at my school the kids are pretty nice, so they didn't really give me a hard time. They actually like the younger teachers a lot more than the older teachers, which is great, except for now I’m afraid to get old. I didn't have too much of a problem with them being like “Whatever, you’re my age, you can't tell me what to do.” It was more so that we were able to talk about things, so they liked me, so they didn't give me a hard time.
AP: Any advice for new teachers working with high schoolers or with the same type of curriculum?
MD: I’d say for new teachers working with the curriculum, advocate for yourself. There's a lot of parents who see a lot of value in what you teach, and the administrators will see value in it, but the state puts so much emphasis on English and math that you just have to keep reminding them that you’re there, so when it comes to budget cuts it doesn't even occur to them to cut you. And also, establish good relationships with the kids so that they want to take your classes. Don't be afraid of teenagers, just be fair. Lay out your expectations and then stick to them.
AP: How do you feel about the amount of testing students go through? As a teacher do you find it helpful or unnecessary?
MD: On paper, I can see sort of where it's coming from, because it's really important to always be accessing students. At the end of the year you can't just be like “Oh wait, you guys didn't learn all that stuff?” You always need to be checking for understanding. As a teacher, it's frustrating because there's so much riding on the tests that you have to coach students on how to take the test, which goes against a lot of why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place. You sacrifice some of the things that you wanted to do or lessons that maybe would have come up, teachable moments, because you don't have time to cover everything that's on the test.
AP: What are the pros and cons of teaching at a small school?

MD: Well pros, I know all the kids except for the seventh graders. Even the students not taking my classes, I still know who they are. You just figure it out. You really get to know students, which helps make relative classes and connections to the content, The cons, sometimes I can only offer one section of a class, and if you’re not free when that section is offered, then you totally miss out on the class. What goes along with that is that my school day is very busy, when most teachers are preparing lessons for one or two classes, I'm preparing lessons for six. Sometimes I forget what class I'm even standing in. [Laughs]